I refer to ‘Tommy Thomas: Felled by his flawed arguments‘ (Stop The Lies, 23 January 2013), which was in response to his article ‘Voting for the future’ (Malaysian Insider, 15 January 2013 ).
In his article Tommy Thomas made so many unfavourable comments about Malaysia. I cannot understand what he finds so objectionable in this country.
- Tommy Thomas had once migrated to Canada. But then he came back. Did he come back to an oppressive Malaysia?
- When his father completed his Government service as a technical assistant, he retired as a wealthy person, thanks to his astute financial skills. Would he have managed to do so if Malaysia had an oppressive government?
- Tommy Thomas owns two Porsches. Malaysia was indeed good for him.
- All three of Tommy Thomas’s children study overseas. He must have a reasonably good income to be able to afford to do so. Malaysia can’t be all bad.
- Tommy Thomas’s mother was an assistant professor in University Malaya. Her skills were given due recognition.
- Tommy Thomas owns two thoroughbred horses. That’s like being in the elitist league.
- Tommy Thomas was convicted on a contempt of court charge in 2001, but his six-month jail term was reduced to a fine. The judiciary has been kind to him.
With all of theses strikes, Tommy Thomas does not look like a man who has been deprived of much in Malaysia, if at all. All this happened during the regime of the present government which he calls corrupt.
Now he wants to vote for change. A change to his lifestyle?